How do I deal with algae in my Gravity Water System?
Although uncommon, if algae are growing in your Gravity Water System, it can easily be remedied by following these steps:
- Clean the system with a 25% solution of white vinegar or a 3% solution of hydrogen peroxide.
- Use a soft, new sponge to scrape the algal film off the affected components. Please refrain from utilizing a used kitchen sponge as this usually contains bacteria from food particles.
- Use a Q-tip to further remove any remaining algae in spots that are difficult to reach with a sponge.
- Thoroughly wash, then dry, the cleaned system. Please note that some dish detergents contain phosphates that can encourage algae growth.
- Boil the Mineral Stones for between 2 - 5 minutes, then let air dry.
- Replace the 5-stage/Fluoride Filter if affected, or if it is past its filter life.